Abundance of rhizospheric bacteria and fungi associated with Fouquieria columnaris at Punta Cirio, Sonora, Mexico

Oscar Gutierrez-Ruacho, Martha L. Coronado, Felipe Sánchez-Teyer, Alfonso Sánchez, Aldo Gutiérrez, Martín Esqueda

Resumen


A unique relictual population of Fouquieria columnaris is located in Sonora, along a 45-km strip of land encompassing Punta Cirio in the Sonoran Desert. The interaction of plants with microorganisms is an important adaptation to survival in desertic areas. The present study reports the abundance of bacteria, actinobacteria, and filamentous and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) in the rhizosphere of F. columnaris at Punta Cirio. Also, the genetic variability of F. columnaris was analyzed using amplied fragment length polymorphism markers. Bacteria and fungi in 27 soil samples from the rhizosphere of F. columnaris at 3 hills with low, medium, and high elevations were analyzed. The total bacterial, actinobacterial, and filamentous fungal counts did not differ among sites or elevations; no interaction between site and elevation was found. Nitrogen-fixing bacteria varied according to site but not elevation, whereas phosphorus-solubilizing bacteria were undetected. Filamentous fungi were dominated by Aspergillus spp. (48%) and Penicillium spp. (28%), which together represented 76% of the total average colony-forming units. The
spore density of AMF ranged from 109 to 245 per 100 g of soil, and 65 to 80% of roots were colonized by hyphae, vesicles, or arbuscles of AMF. The DNA analysis generated an average similarity coefficient of 0.89, which could indicate high genetic homogeneity within the evaluated F. columnaris population.

Palabras clave


Bacteria; Actinobacteria; Filamentous fungi; Mycorrhizae; Cirio

Texto completo:

PDF (English)


DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22201/ib.20078706e.2018.2.1620

Enlaces refback

  • No hay ningún enlace refback.


     Ed. en Jefe: Fernando Álvarez Noguera
     falvarez@ib.unam.mx
     Tel: (55)5622-9164
    
     ISSN-versión electrónica: 2007-8706
     ISSN-impreso:1870-3453
     FACTOR DE IMPACTO 2017 (publicado en 2018): 0.609
      FI a 5 años: 0.723
 
     Licencia Creative Commons
Revista Mexicana de Biodiversidad por IB-UNAM se distribuye bajo una Licencia Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivar 4.0 Internacional.
 

Revista Mexicana de Biodiversidad, Año 3, No. 12, enero-marzo 2014, es una publicación trimestral editada por la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Ciudad Universitaria, Delegación Coyoacán, C.P. 04510, Ciudad de México, a través del Instituto de Biología, Tercer Circuito Universitario s/n, Ciudad Universitaria, Col. Copilco, Del. Coyoacán, C.P. 04510, Ciudad de México, Tel. (55)56229164, http://www.revista.ib.unam.mx/index.php/bio/, falvarez@ib.unam.mx.Editor responsable: Dr. Fernando Álvarez Noguera. Reserva de Derechos al uso Exclusivo No. 04-2013-092709142100-203, ISSN: 2007-8706, ambos otorgados por el Instituto Nacional del Derecho de Autor, Responsable de la última actualización de este número, Instituto de Biología, UNAM, Dr. Fernando Álvarez Noguera, Tercer Circuito Universitario s/n, Ciudad Universitaria, Col. Copilco, Del. Coyoacán, C.P. 04510, Ciudad de México, fecha de la última modificación: 25 de agosto de 2016.

Las opiniones expresadas por los autores, no necesariamente reflejan la postura del editor de la publicación. Se autoriza la reproducción total o parcial de los textos aquí publicados siempre y cuando se cite la fuente completa y la dirección electrónica de la publicación.

http://www.revista.ib.unam.mx/index.php/bio/